VISITOR EXPERIENCE ASSOCIATE
Reports to: Visitor Experience Manager
Part Time (15 hours)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
CuriousCity is an emerging children’s museum in downtown Peabody. A project of the Peabody Cultural Collaborative (PCC) and the City of Peabody this exciting project is temporarily being housed at the Leatherworkers Museum on Washington Street in Peabody. CuriousCity is a play-based exhibit and program based experience serving children ages 2-10 and their caregivers in Essex County. All exhibits and programs are hands-on learning experiences focusing on science, engineering, art and nature education, literacy and adult/child interaction. The ultimate vision and goal of CuriousCity is to establish a permanent, full scale children’s museum in downtown Peabody.
The Visitor Experience Associate (VEA) will provide outstanding customer service, maintain exhibit spaces according to our safety, security and cleanliness procedures; support museum activities, programs and events; and demonstrate value for inclusion and access for all visitors. The ultimate goal of CuriousCity is to demonstrate that a permanent children’s museum can be a successful venture in Peabody so that the children of Essex County will have permanent access to a play-based space devoted to learning and promoting the healthy development of children and families in our community. Therefore, data collection will be a key function of this position.
- Greet visitors with with general information regarding museum exhibits, programs, and services.
- Promote the Power of Play by engaging with children and families to maximize learning and enjoyment in the museum, e nsuring that they are using materials safely and in the intended manner.
- Support educators during scheduled programs and events.
- Assist with crowd control during busy operational hours,
- Maintain and verify the cleanliness and readiness of all exhibit spaces, the lobby, and admissions desk areas daily.
- Maintain the loose parts inventory and ensure that exhibits are properly stocked on a daily basis.
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff trainings.
- Perform Admission or Exhibit duties as assigned, ensuring all VEA checklist items are completed.
- Adhere to Museum policies and procedures.
- Accurately process cash, credit, pass and discount transactions.
- Adhere to internal controls according to admissions policies and procedures.
- Reconcile assigned cash drawer at the beginning and end of each shift.
- Accurately capture demographic info and visitor data.
- Data entry tasks as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent work experience in a non-profit management, education, or retail environment required. Previous museum experience a plus.
- Experience handling cash, credit or check transactions with customers
- Previous experience with young children (ages 0-10) and their families in recreational settings.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff and visitors.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact positively with children, adults, and large groups.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- FLuency in a second language preferred.
- CORI background check required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Office Environment:
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
- Interaction with the public, including children
- Reaching, bending, lifting, and pushing up to 30 lbs.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and complexity of the work being performed by personnel assigned to this classification and do not represent an exhaustive list of all tasks, duties, and responsibilities required of personnel assigned to this position.
Please send cover letter and resume to Melissa Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 30, 2019.